If you've visited us at Food Matters Live, or one of our recent Wholefoods sampling sessions, then you might well have tried some of the delicious festive treats that our fantastic in-house chef Szabina has been making. To kick off the start of December, here are her delicious mince pies made with our natural whey protein.
For the fruit mince filling
200g mixed dried fruit (sultanas, raisins, cranberries, blueberries)
60g apple finely chopped (no need to peel)
Zest and juice of ½ orange
Zest and juice of ½ lemon
½ tsp of ground cinnamon
½ tsp of ground ginger
¼ tsp of ground nutmeg
½ vanilla pod
1 pinch of sea salt
For the crust
100g buckwheat flour
20g Nutristrength whey protein unflavoured
60g almond flour
2 tablespoons coconut sugar
1 pinch of salt
1 vanillia pod
1 egg white
For the fruit mince filling:
1. Slice the vanilla pod in half and scrape the seeds into the pan.
2. Place all the mincemeat ingredients into a saucepan and cook on a medium heat for about 15-20 minutes until the apples are soft. Cook gently, with the lid on but removing the lid and stirring every few minutes. Set aside until ready to use.
For the pastry:
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180°C and grease a 24 hole mini cupcake tins with coconut oil.
2. In a bowl mix together the pastry ingredients until they form a dough. Roll out the pastry between 2 sheets baking paper until 3mm thick. Dust a work surface with some coconut flour.
3. Using a 4cm round cutter, cut 24 rounds from pastry. Push the pastry discs into the bottom of the tins with your thumbs until it fills the sides.
4. Then place 1 tablespoon of the mince mixture into each shell. Repeat this for all.
5. Using a 3cm star-shaped cutter, cut 24 stars from pastry. Top each with a star.
6. Sprinkle with a little coconut sugar and bake for 10 minutes until pastry lightly golden. Leave for twenty minutes to cool.
Enjoy! If you've enjoyed making this, tag us on your social media so we can see them!